With 240 power units, 700 trailers and 230 drivers, the T.H. Ryan Cartage Company is one of the largest cartage firms in the greater Chicago area. It’s also the oldest, opening its doors for business in 1905 at Harrison and Loomis Streets in Chicago.
The company was founded by John Ryan as the Ryan Teaming Company and originally operated with horse-drawn wagons. In fact, the company did not acquire its first truck until 1920. Today, the T.H. Ryan Cartage Company is headquartered in the Chicago suburb of Maywood, at Saint Charles and 7th avenue and operates under the direction of Tim Ryan, grandson of the firm’s founder.
According to Tim, The key to T.H. Ryan’s growth and success over the past 108 years has been a focus on the fundamentals. “As a company, we always stayed in our niche. We are a conservative business that is and always has been a dedicated truck and driver leasing company, operating within a 150 mile radius of Chicago,” he explains.
Over the years, the company has built a reputation for reliability, quality and service that keeps customers loyal. In fact, T.H. Ryan has several customer relationships that date back over 30 years, and some as many as 50. Also as a dedicated leasing company, T.H. Ryan often becomes an extension of its customers’ operations.